Can anyone cap and seed the TNT episodes?
dave
2008-01-10 03:48:34 UTC
I've purchased all the DVDs so far and was really disappointed to learn the
season 5 release has been postponed indefinitely. It would be great to see
these episodes again. And if Fox isn't willing to take my hard earned, I'll
find an alternative.

Is anyone out there willing and able to cap and share these episodes online?

There is a group talking about this here:
http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=528515
s***@yahoo.com
2008-01-10 13:53:32 UTC
Post by dave
I've purchased all the DVDs so far and was really disappointed to learn the
season 5 release has been postponed indefinitely. It would be great to see
these episodes again. And if Fox isn't willing to take my hard earned, I'll
find an alternative.
Is anyone out there willing and able to cap and share these episodes online?
There is a group talking about this here:http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=528515
I might. I got a DVD recorder.

I dunno if this is legal or not though.
Bill Kawalec
2008-01-10 18:18:00 UTC
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by dave
I've purchased all the DVDs so far and was really disappointed to learn the
season 5 release has been postponed indefinitely. It would be great to see
these episodes again. And if Fox isn't willing to take my hard earned, I'll
find an alternative.
Is anyone out there willing and able to cap and share these episodes online?
There is a group talking about this
here:http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=528515
I might. I got a DVD recorder.
I dunno if this is legal or not though.
it's not.
(which is not to say I'd turn you in)

:-0
Brian Matthews
2008-01-11 00:03:42 UTC
On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:18:00 -0500, "Bill Kawalec"
Post by Bill Kawalec
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by dave
I've purchased all the DVDs so far and was really disappointed to learn the
season 5 release has been postponed indefinitely. It would be great to see
these episodes again. And if Fox isn't willing to take my hard earned, I'll
find an alternative.
Is anyone out there willing and able to cap and share these episodes online?
There is a group talking about this
here:http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=528515
I might. I got a DVD recorder.
I dunno if this is legal or not though.
it's not.
(which is not to say I'd turn you in)
:-0
From that link;

"From Wednesday, January 16, 3:00AM ET the US TV Channel TNT will
start screening
Season 5 onwards...this is the first time since it was originally on
TV that it
will be screened."

That is just plain WRONG. Court TV and TNT have been thru the ENTIRE
series, many times. As for the legality of recording it to VHS or DVD?
I believe it's legal, as long as you don't distribute the shows. For
instance, if I were to record a show on my PC and burn it to DVD, it's
legal as long as I don't pass it around. But selling it, trading it or
even sharing it is against the law. Giving a copy away is pretty much
a gray area as far as the law is concerned. But selling and trading it
are definite no-nos. Just recording a copy for yourself on DVD or VHS
was established legal many years ago when the first Betamax and VHS
machines came out.

Brian
Bill Kawalec
2008-01-11 09:36:19 UTC
Post by Bill Kawalec
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by dave
I've purchased all the DVDs so far and was really disappointed to learn the
season 5 release has been postponed indefinitely. It would be great to see
these episodes again. And if Fox isn't willing to take my hard earned, I'll
find an alternative.
Is anyone out there willing and able to cap and share these episodes online?
There is a group talking about this
here:http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=528515
I might. I got a DVD recorder.
I dunno if this is legal or not though.
it's not.
(which is not to say I'd turn you in)
:-0
From that link;
"From Wednesday, January 16, 3:00AM ET the US TV Channel TNT will
start screening
Season 5 onwards...this is the first time since it was originally on
TV that it
will be screened."
That is just plain WRONG. Court TV and TNT have been thru the ENTIRE
series, many times. As for the legality of recording it to VHS or DVD?
I believe it's legal, as long as you don't distribute the shows.
The question was "cap and share." save your hot air.

For
Post by Brian Matthews
instance, if I were to record a show on my PC and burn it to DVD, it's
legal as long as I don't pass it around. But selling it, trading it or
even sharing it is against the law. Giving a copy away is pretty much
a gray area as far as the law is concerned.
no it isn't. who's gonna turn you in though?

But selling and trading it
Brian
Brian Matthews
2008-01-12 19:51:05 UTC
Post by Bill Kawalec
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by dave
I've purchased all the DVDs so far and was really disappointed to learn the
season 5 release has been postponed indefinitely. It would be great to see
these episodes again. And if Fox isn't willing to take my hard earned, I'll
find an alternative.
Is anyone out there willing and able to cap and share these episodes online?
There is a group talking about this
here:http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=528515
I might. I got a DVD recorder.
I dunno if this is legal or not though.
it's not.
(which is not to say I'd turn you in)
:-0
From that link;
"From Wednesday, January 16, 3:00AM ET the US TV Channel TNT will
start screening
Season 5 onwards...this is the first time since it was originally on
TV that it
will be screened."
That is just plain WRONG. Court TV and TNT have been thru the ENTIRE
series, many times. As for the legality of recording it to VHS or DVD?
I believe it's legal, as long as you don't distribute the shows.
The question was "cap and share." save your hot air.
I was just pointing out the inaccurate part of the article, it's NOT
the first time seasons 5 thru 12 have been reran. From the web
article;

"this is the first time since it was originally on
TV that it
will be screened."

And that is incorrect.
Post by Bill Kawalec
For
Post by Brian Matthews
instance, if I were to record a show on my PC and burn it to DVD, it's
legal as long as I don't pass it around. But selling it, trading it or
even sharing it is against the law. Giving a copy away is pretty much
a gray area as far as the law is concerned.
no it isn't. who's gonna turn you in though?
The courts disagree. They say it's legal, for personal use.
This was brought into the courts many years ago, back when Betamax
machines first came out.

"The District Court concluded that noncommercial home use recording of
material broadcast over the public airwaves was a fair use of
copyrighted works and did not constitute copyright infringement. It
emphasized the fact that the material was broadcast free to the public
at large, the noncommercial character of the use, and the private
character of the activity conducted entirely within the home.
Moreover, the court found that the purpose of this use served the
public interest in increasing access to television programming, an
interest that "is consistent with the First Amendment policy of
providing the fullest possible access to information through the
public airwaves. Columbia Broadcasting System, Inc. v. Democratic
National Committee, 412 U.S. 94, 102 ." Id., at 454. 8 Even when an
entire copyrighted work was recorded, [464 U.S. 417, 426] the
District Court regarded the copying as fair use "because there is no
accompanying reduction in the market for `plaintiff's original work."

Selling and trading IS illegal. Giving a copy to someone has never
been addressed in the courts. It's the same as having someone come to
your home and watching a show on Comcast's DVR recorder. It's legal to
rent the DVR from Comcast and it's legal to play a recording when
company is over. If these practices WERE illegal, it would be illegal
for Comcast to lease the DVR boxes, for vendors to sell TV video cards
for computers and for companies to even sell VCR machines.

Here's a link to some court cases about recording TV. It's pretty much
a gray area, like I said. Can I give away a recorded TV show, legally?
Who knows? It's the same way with recording a show and going to
someone's house and watching it. Is that legal? I'm sure some court,
somewhere, has ruled on that, but the general public wouldn't know if
it were legal or not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_Corp._of_America_v._Universal_City_Studios,_Inc.
Post by Bill Kawalec
But selling and trading it
Brian
Bill Kawalec
2008-01-12 20:32:34 UTC
Post by Bill Kawalec
Post by s***@yahoo.com
Post by dave
I've purchased all the DVDs so far and was really disappointed to
learn
the
season 5 release has been postponed indefinitely. It would be great
see
these episodes again. And if Fox isn't willing to take my hard
earned,
I'll
find an alternative.
Is anyone out there willing and able to cap and share these episodes online?
There is a group talking about this
here:http://www.zeropaid.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=528515
I might. I got a DVD recorder.
I dunno if this is legal or not though.
it's not.
(which is not to say I'd turn you in)
:-0
From that link;
"From Wednesday, January 16, 3:00AM ET the US TV Channel TNT will
start screening
Season 5 onwards...this is the first time since it was originally on
TV that it
will be screened."
That is just plain WRONG. Court TV and TNT have been thru the ENTIRE
series, many times. As for the legality of recording it to VHS or DVD?
I believe it's legal, as long as you don't distribute the shows.
The question was "cap and share." save your hot air.
I was just pointing out the inaccurate part of the article, it's NOT
the first time seasons 5 thru 12 have been reran. From the web
article;
response was to quote directly above, where you misinterpret the original
post.
Post by Brian Matthews
"this is the first time since it was originally on
TV that it
will be screened."
And that is incorrect.
Post by Bill Kawalec
For
Post by Brian Matthews
instance, if I were to record a show on my PC and burn it to DVD, it's
legal as long as I don't pass it around. But selling it, trading it or
even sharing it is against the law. Giving a copy away is pretty much
a gray area as far as the law is concerned.
no it isn't. who's gonna turn you in though?
The courts disagree. They say it's legal, for personal use.
This was brought into the courts many years ago, back when Betamax
machines first came out.
response was to quote directly above, where you call giving away copies a
"gray area." that's NOT "personal use," and IS illegal.
Post by Brian Matthews
[...]
Post by Bill Kawalec
But selling and trading it
Brian
Brian Matthews
2008-01-12 19:56:39 UTC
Post by Bill Kawalec
Post by Brian Matthews
For
instance, if I were to record a show on my PC and burn it to DVD, it's
legal as long as I don't pass it around. But selling it, trading it or
even sharing it is against the law. Giving a copy away is pretty much
a gray area as far as the law is concerned.
no it isn't. who's gonna turn you in though?
OK, a little more research turned this up;

"It would indeed be illegal for you to lend a copy to your neighbor.
Such an action would not be permitted under the fair use provisions
for television broadcasts, since you would be doing much more than
using a copy for your own "time-shifting" purposes. You and you alone,
as the original receiver of the content, may use your personal copy of
the TV show."

And this is what puzzles most people. If it's legal for me to record a
show, is it OK to be watching it when company comes over or do I need
to shut it off the minute they arrive? It's pretty confusing. But I
think we all agree, that the original post about capping and seeding
NYPD Blue episodes, without a doubt, IS illegal.

Brian
Bill Kawalec
2008-01-12 20:35:28 UTC
Post by Bill Kawalec
Post by Brian Matthews
[...]
well, if they're going to try to control who can watch what inside my house,
there are several new cans-o-worms to open. it would now be illegal to rent
a movie at Blockbuster and watch it with non-residents in your house...

It's pretty confusing. But I
Brian
Brian Matthews
2008-01-12 20:53:41 UTC
Post by Bill Kawalec
Post by Brian Matthews
[...]
Yes, that's why I called it a gray area. Not because of the legality
but because of the average person knowing the laws. IS it legal for me
to show a TV show on VHS or my DVR box when company is over? The
courts probably have decided and the average citizen is screwed if it
ever came to court. Ignorance of the law is no excuse to break it. And
when you ask who'll turn you in? Many, many people could. If you were
going thru a divorce, your soon to be ex-wife could turn you in for
lending out tapes. Or if you invite a neighbor, friend or co-worker
over to watch something, then have a fight with them, they could turn
you in. And I'm telling you, there's been many cases of illegal
downloads (or copying) that have gone to court. And the defendants
have had to pay out through the nose for breaking these laws.

Brian
Bill Kawalec
yeah I read
s***@yahoo.com
2008-01-16 11:38:07 UTC
Post by Brian Matthews
downloads (or copying) that have gone to court. And the defendants
have had to pay out through the nose for breaking these laws.
Brian
yeah I read
So all this means that what I record is for my eyes only and I should
shut it off if someone else comes into where I am?